433 Hay St.
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Permit Inspection Work
Work must be inspected during each phase of construction before work is concealed and/or continued by the permit holder or their agent. The inspection request is called into Dispatch at 910-433-1768 or:
433 Hay Street
1st Floor - City Hall
PO Box 1846
Fayetteville, NC 28302-1846
Required Building Inspections
(Also see Common Mistakes, below)
Slab: Is inspected before the concrete is poured, must have plastic installed and termite spray must be completed.
Open Floor Framing: If the structure is on a crawl space, the floor system must be in place without the sheathing installed to verify the floor connection, spacing, and support.
Rough-in Framing: After Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical have passed rough inspections, but before insulation.
Wall Ties: This is done when veneer is applied to the exterior.
Insulation: Before sheetrock has been installed. (See Common Mistakes, below)
Fireplace/Chimney: (Wood burning only) Applicant must call 910-433-1707 to have this inspection added, then requested.
Above the Ceiling: Before ceiling tile is installed. Inspection addresses insulation, framing is not harmed, rated wall is labeled with appropriate fire resistive rating.
Final: Includes ceiling/floor insulation and any required exterior grading.
Common Mistakes Identified During a Building Inspection
- Not ready or out of sequence
- Address is not visible or posted
- Termite protection certification is not provided
- Footing not 12 inches below grade
- Footing is not free of all roots, loose dirt or other debris
- Footing has water or mud
- Crawl space is not covered with poly
- Plans and/or Truss details missing/incorrect
- Load Points missing/incorrect
- Fire stopping and/or draft stopping missing/incorrect
- Truss bracing missing/incorrect
- Engineered truss design is missing or not installed per design
- Rafter ties missing
- Drilling and over notching of joists and plates
- Riser heights incorrect on stairs
- Hangers missing/not nailed properly
- Anchor bolts missing/incorrect
- Improper nailing of headers and beams
- Fire blocking is missing
- Top plate has holes that are not sealed
- Handrails on stairways missing or at incorrect height
- Guardrails missing or incorrect height
- Smoke detector missing or not installed correctly
- Carbon monoxide detector not installed
Common Mistakes Identified During an Insulation Inspection
- Paper backing cannot be used in concealed spaces
- Must have vapor barrier behind bathtubs/showers on exterior walls
- Windows and door must have insulation in all voids
- Must have depth markers in attic
- Must have "R" value documentation for blown-in insulation
- Builder must mount the insulation certificate indicating all insulation values for the home